Security Training and Regulation 21
Skydda Tactical Security has joined forces with Triplo Concepts in offering training for those persons who will through the application of the knowledge of the relevant legislation, carry, handle, shoot and maintainbusiness purposes.
At our accredited training facility, we offer the following proficiency training courses which are fully accredited by the PFTC (Professional Firearms Trainers Council) as well as SAPS (South African Police Service):
REGULATION 21 COMPLIANCE TRAINING
RENEWAL OF BUSINESS PURPOSES COMPETENCY CERTIFICATE
Upon successful completion of the REG 21 training, the learner will receive a training certificate from the service provider, a personal course report stipulating the aspects covered and an SAPS prescribed document for Sworn Statement declaring successful completion of the training.
REGULATION 21 COMPLIANCE TESTING
The following is covered in the course:
- Knowledge of the Firearms Control Act, Act 60 of 2000 applicable to possessing a firearm
- Section 49 of the Criminal Procedure Act, Act 51 of 1977;
- Firearm Safety (Includes the following: Safe Direction, Safety Rules, General Safety, Range Rules and Personal Protection Equipment).
- Firearm Knowledge
- Regulation 21 Theoretical Examination
- Handgun – Observation Checklist & Qualification Shoot (Business Purposes)
- Shotgun – Observation Checklist & Qualification Shoot (Business Purposes) – If relevant to company
- Self-loading Rifle or Carbine – Observation Checklist & Qualification Shoot (Business Purposes) – If relevant to company
- Manually Operated Rifle or Carbine – Observation Checklist & Qualification Shoot (Business Purposes) – If relevant to company
- Registration Form
- SAPS Prescribed Document for Sworn Statement
YOU HAVE TO COMPLETE PERSONAL USE BEFORE MOVING ON TO BUSINESS USE
- Handle and use of a handgun for business purposes
- Handle and use of a shotgun for business purposes
- Handle and use of a manually operated rifle or carbine for business purposes
- Handle and use of a self-loading rifle or carbine for business purposes
- Regulation 21 Compliance Testing Standards ( excludes firearms and ammunition)
- Range Officer – Supervise a shooting excercise
This is covered in Chapter 3 and 4, Sec 14(8) of the firearms Control Act which is quoted as follows:
Chapter 3 Section 14
(8) The training and practical test for dealers, manufacturers, gunsmiths, security officers or other persons who use firearms during their business as contemplated in section 9(2)(s) of the Act, must comply with the requirements of the South African Qualifications Authority Act, 1995 (Act No. 58 of 1995) read with the Skills Development Act, 1998 (Act No. 97 of 1998).
CHAPTER 4, Regulation 21 (2)(viii) and (ix)
(viii) ensure that the security officers issued with firearms undergo at least one proper practical training session, at the cost of the security company, at least every 12 months, or within a shorter period as may be reasonably necessary in the circumstances, in the proper and safe handling and use of the relevant firearm and ammunition;
(ix) ensure that the security officers issued with firearms attend at least one briefing session, at the cost of the security company, every 12 months, or within a shorter period as may be reasonably necessary in the circumstances, during which they are properly informed of the relevant legal principles, rules and procedures and of their legal duties regarding the possession, carrying, safe custody and use of firearms and ammunition issued to them;
REGULATION 21 TRAINING thus means that every security officer who works with a firearm must attend a refresher course at least once a year at an accredited training centre.
This training will be based on the Unit Standards for Handle and Use a (relevant firearm according to company’s policies and procedures) for business purposes. It is expected of you to successfully complete the qualification shoots in the relevant Unit Standards for business purposes. You may only attend such a refresher course once you are in possession of a Competency Certificate issued by the SAPS AND an accredited training provider training certificate for the successful completion of the relevant Business Purpose Unit Standard/s AND a Statement of Results issued through the PFTC (Professional Firearm Trainers Council). Every security company MUST send their officers working with firearms for this training once a year. Make sure you comply when the SAPS visit your security company for an annual inspection.
Skydda Tactical Security (Pty) Ltd, is a professional, accredited firearm training centre based in the Centurion. We make use of professionally written “Regulation 21 Compliance Testing” firearm learning material as supplied to us by our Lead Service Provider. Contact us today to assist you with your Regulation 21 Compliance Training.